Chip and Seal Driveway Installation
What is chip seal?
Chip seal, also called chip and seal or chip sealing resurfacing, is a treatment used to create a new, smooth driveway layer of crushed rock and gravel. Chip seal installation can be used for driveways, courtyards, private and public roads. Chipseal is also sometimes used for parking lots, sidewalks and walkways. Chipsealed driveways and roads are becoming a common sight in New Jersey, but their value is also utilized around the country and world!
Why are chip and seal driveways a good option?
Many homeowners are turning to chip seal driveways when installing a new paved surface driveway so they can improve the value of their home. But why is this a good option for you? There are several benefits to chip seal driveways. Not only do they look fantastic, but they are also a cost effective solution for homeowners. Chip seal driveways easier to install and maintain than traditional asphalt driveways.
How is chip seal different than asphalt?
Chip seal is a patented form of asphalt that provides a great quality driveway for your home. It is a sealer mixed with a bitumen binder that is applied to the surface of the asphalt. It is different from regular asphalt because it is a sealer designed to keep water from entering the pavement. This is important because rain can weaken the asphalt over time and cause it to crack.
Is Chipseal a good choice for commercial applications?
Public sidewalks, roads parks and courtyards are areas that are frequented by vehicles large and small as well as pedestrians including children, adults, bicycles and even pets daily. With this high level of traffic and usage, these areas require a certain level of service and durability. Not only do they need to be visually appealing, they need to be durable and maintenance free. Asphalt is a popular and effective material for such applications, however chipseal asphalt is becoming a more popular choice for these diverse applications. Chipseal has many advantages over asphalt, including decreased maintenance, weather-resistance, improved durability and even noise reduction.
What is the chip seal process?
- Prepare the base – The first step to building a new chipseal driveway or other application is to prepare the ground. This means removing any weeds, debris and especially trees. This step is crucial because it lays the foundation for your driveway. Without a level foundation, your driveway will not be strong enough to support the weight of the concrete.
- Lay down the aggregate – Aggregate is a mixture of sand, stone and gravel that’s used to create a layer on the surface of a concrete or asphalt road. It’s poured over the existing surface to provide extra traction for vehicles. It’s also used for the construction of driveways.
- Compact the aggregate – Compacting the aggregate for a new driveway will allow the sealer to penetrate deeper and create a stronger bond to create a long lasting seal.
- Apply a binder – Applying a binder to a new driveway is a good method to preserve the surface by keeping water out of the pores of the surface. This can be done by sanding the driveway down, applying the binder and then sanding once again to create a smooth and flat finish.
- Use a roller to flatten the driveway – A roller will help to ensure that your driveway is smooth and flat. Repeatedly driving over loose gravel will result in potholes and rutting. A roller will ensure a smooth flow of traffic while a properly installed driveway ensures that you do not get stuck in the mud.
How do you maintain a chip seal driveway?
A chip seal driveway is a very durable surface and can be maintained by using sweepers and water to remove loose chips and other loose material. Repetitive application of seal coat to seal the chips in is important as well. We recommend annual service to keep paved surfaces and driveways in peak condition.
Why hire Cannon Driveway and Patios for your chip and seal driveway installation?
Cannon Driveway & Patios has been providing professional services for over 30 years. We are committed to the customer’s satisfaction. Our chip seal application services are second to none. Contact us today and mention our website for a 10% discount!